lunes, 28 de febrero de 2011

UNIT 4: REPORTED SPEECH

We use reported speech to report what another person has said, without quoting their exact word. In reported speech we don't use inverted commas ("...").


REPORTED STATEMENTS


TENSE CHANGES

* When we convert a direct speech sentence into reported speech, we change the tense of the main verb by putting it one step further into the past.


DIRECT SPEECH
REPORTED SPEECH
Present simple
 Past simple
I come
I came
Present continuous
 Past continuous
I’m reading
I was reading
Present perfect simple
 Past perfect simple
I have told
I had told
Past simple
 Past perfect simple
I walked
I had walked
Will
 Would
I will see
I would see
Can
 Could
I can sing
I could sing
Must
 Had to
I must read
I had to read


For example: "I can't come to your party" said Toni --> Toni said that he couldn't come to my party.

* We don't change the past perfect simple in reported speech.


OTHER CHANGES

* Most modals verbs don't change when we convert direct speech into reported speech. For example:
You should report the theft --> She said that I should report the theft.

Pronouns usually change

* Expressions of time and place usually change. For example:
"Were are going to meet tomorrow" said Lisa --> Lisa said that they were going to meet the following day.


DIRECT SPEECH
REPORTED SPEECH
Here
There
This
That
These
Those
Now
Then
Next week
The following week
Today
That day
Tonight
That night
Tomorrow
The following day
Yesterday
The day before
Last week
The week before


REPORTED COMMANDS AND REQUESTS

* In reported commands we use:

Subject + TELL + object + (not) to + verb (infinitive).
Ex: The police officer told him to go away.
     The detective told us not to touch anything.

* In reported requests we use:

Subject + ASK + (not) to + verb (infinitive).
Ex: He asked me to show him my passport.
      The judge asked us not no make a noise.


REPORTING QUESTIONS

These sentences have a different word order from direct questions. In fact, they have the same order as affirmative questions.

Direct questions: verb + subject --> "What's your name?" he asked.
Reported speech: subject + verb --> He asked what her name was.

* We don't use do/did in reported questions.
* If a direct question uses a question word we repeat it in the reported question.
   Ex: "What are you reading? asked Jake. --> Jake asked what he was reading.

If a direct question doesn't use a question word, we use if or wether in the reported question.
   Ex: "Can you show me your passport?" asked the police. --> The police asked if she could show him her passport.

REPORTING VERBS

We can use other verbs to introduce reported speech.

VERB + OBJECT + VERB (infinitve with to). --> Reported verbs used in reported commands and requests.
       * ask, advise, invite, order, remind, tell, encourage, persuade, warn.

Ex: "You ought to tell them the truth". --> She advised them to tell the truth.

VERB + VERB (infinitive with to).
      * agree, offer, promise, refuse.

Ex: "No, we won't help you". --> They refused to help us.

- VERB (+ that) + SUBJECT + VERB ( in reporting tense).
     * admit, declare, explain, insist, promise, recommend, reply, reveal, say, suggest, add.

Ex: "You need to call this number". --> He explained that I needed to call that number.

VERB + FOR + VERB (-ing)
      * apologize for

Ex: "I'm sorry I was impolite". --> She apologized for being impolite.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario